22.9 C
Nairobi
Sunday, November 28, 2021

Kapedo disarmament: Only three guns surrendered after one month

By The Frontier Post Reporter

Must read

When the government reinstated the operation to seize all illegal firearms in North Rift region, there were high hopes security would be restored in the volatile area.

However, one month after the directive by the Rift Valley Regional Coordinator George Natembeya, nothing much has been achieved as only three guns have been surrendered so far.

The massive disarmament was being carried out in Ameyan, Paka, Silale, Nadome, Kapau, Chesitet and Kapedo.

Unconfirmed reports indicate that at least four people have been killed in Baringo South sub-county in the past one month alone.

The last attack happened a week ago where a military officer was shot dead at Mukutani, at the border of Baringo South and Tiaty East sub-counties.

During the attack, unknown number of bandits suspected to be from the neighbouring community ambushed the camp belonging to a multi-agency team of security personnel before firing at the officers killing one of them on the spot.

According to Natembeya, the bandits who staged the attack had fled the ongoing security operation in Laikipia West.

“The officer succumbed to the injuries while being taken to hospital. It is unfortunate that this s happening just after we reinstated the ongoing operation,” he said.

Tension remains high in many villages with residents fleeing their homes to seek refuge in police and military camps. The fate of many learners whose schools reopen next week is uncertain.

Natembeya, had two months ago issued a 30 day cease fire in the ongoing operation in Tiaty sub-county to give leaders a chance to preach peace.

He issued the directive during a Rift Valley Regional boss says only three guns have been returned a month after issuing the directive meeting held at Lake Bogoria Spa Resort where Pokot leaders among them Tiaty MP William Kamket made the request.

“We are scaling down the ongoing operation for 30 days. This follows a request by leaders to be allowed to talk to their people to maintain peace,” said Natembeya.

Other Pokot leaders who attended the meeting included: West Pokot Governor John Lonyangapuo and Senate Majority Leader Samuel Poghisio.

The leaders appealed for forgiveness and 30 days of ceasefire in the ongoing operation. Others included Baringo Senator Gideon Moi and Baringo Woman Rep Gladwell Cheruiyot among others.

Natembeya, however, reversed the decision following rising cases of bandit attacks.

“It seems dialogue has not worked. We will continue with the operation. It will also be extended to Turkana East and Laikipia. Movement to the said areas will be restricted,” said the administrator.

The government rolled out the security operation to flush out bandits after a GSU operation commander was killed in Ameyan area near the porous Kapedo while two other officers were seriously injured.

- Advertisement -spot_img

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -spot_img