18.4 C
Nairobi
Sunday, December 5, 2021

Police now probing how journalist acquired guns used in exposé

Must read

A chilling investigative story that was run by Citizen TV on how rogue police officers promote crime by hiring guns to criminals continues to generate more heat, with Inspector General of Police Hillary Mutyambai now says the guns featured in the story do not belong to the National Police Service.

On Monday during an interaction with members of the public through #EngageTheIG on Twitter, Mutyambai said that the circumstances under which the weapons were acquired are an active investigation.

The IG added that police are sworn to protect lives and property and that should any officer be found breaking the law, legal action will be taken.

The exposé revealed how rogue police officers propagate criminal activities in the country by hiring out their guns, uniforms, bulletproof vests, and handcuffs to criminals for as low as Sh1,000.

The story caused an uproar among Kenyans, prompting the Director of Criminal Investigations George Kinoti to come out, dismissing the feature.

Last week, while dismissing the exposé, Kinoti said that none of the firearms shown in the exposé belong to the Kenya police.

“The allegations are extremely serious. We shall be asking the editorial director, and other relevant reporters to come and give us more insights to this report in pursuit of criminals harbouring the weapons,” Kinoti said.

“The report seemed to be a malicious attempt to discredit the National Police Service; we can only conclude that it was aimed at creating public pandemonium over the management of the security sector.”

 “Nobody is allowed to solicit or give bribes under any circumstance. We need better collaboration between the police and citizens, this includes reporting specific instances against specific individuals and availing the evidence for legal action,” Mutyambai said.

- Advertisement -spot_img

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -spot_img